“With your help, 10/10/10 is going to be the biggest day of practical action to cut carbon that the world has ever seen.
We’re calling it “A Day to Celebrate Climate Solutions”–together we’ll get to work in our communities on projects that can cut carbon and build the clean energy future.
But we won’t stop there–we’ll be using the day to pressure our leaders to Get To Work themselves by passing strong climate policies promoting clean energy and reducing emissions.
Thousands of people around the world have already registered their plans, including bike repair workshoppers in San Francisco, school insulating teams in London, waste-land-to-veggies-gardeners in New Zealand, and solar panel installers in Kenya.”
This weekend marks the global day of action for 350.org, a worldwide grass roots network working towards getting carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere back to 350 part per million, considered to be a safe amount for maintaining a climate similar to the one we have now.
The emphasis of the Global Work Party is to get to work in your community doing something that reduces carbon emissions and by doing so show our leaders that we’re taking action and you should be too. Currently there are an incredible 6174 events planned in 184 countries, including a number in Brisbane (click the link for information about all the listed events and how you can get involved/ RSVP).
Here are some of the event being run by Brisbane Transition Towns and friends
- Creek clean up and tree planting work party! – St Johns Wood Sustainability will be working to regenerate local bushland.
- Launching the Inspiration Community Garden – Transition East are creating a new community garden follow by a worm farm and composting demonstration and more…….
- Help start a Community Garden – Transition Annerley will also be working on a community garden in Fairfield
- Permablitz – Transition Kuripla will be transforming a backyard into a productive fruit and vege garden
- UQ Gets to Work! – UQ Climate for Change will be having (environmentally friendly) bbq on campus and helping people to create plans to cut their carbon footprint by 10%.
- Electric Bicycle buying group – Sustainable Jamboree will be promoting their electric bicycle bulk buy
Hopefully you can make it to one of these events, if you can’t consider doing something around your house, plant a tree, sign up for green power, look into getting solar hot water etc and “get to work”.